Friday, October 30, 2009

Rambling Thoughts on Loving Jesus

I would like to post a few times on having a love for Jesus. I was thinking that even with all the right theology and doctrine, all is hollow and dusty without a love of and for Jesus. I know this is true for myself...not that I resist this, nor do I even say that I do not love Jesus. Rather, I do love Him, but I feel that I do not love Him as I ought to, not nearly as deeply or fully as I should. A love for Jesus, a true, heartfelt love for Him must be the foundation our faith, but must also be the fingerprints on every nail, 2x4, and window. What else is love but utter thankfulness? A thankfulness for who He is and what He has done, for who He has made us to be in saving us from who we were? I love my wife, my children, and I love Jesus, but I am not always grateful for them, nor even to them. Why? It is easy to forget what we've been given, taking for granted those things closest to us, those things that are the most important. I think this is one of the reasons why we are instructed to love our neighbors, those closest to us being most easily forgotten. Jesus gave Himself for us, but even the Son of God can be forgotten or taken for granted. It is a daily discipline because of sinful nature to master a deep, abiding, all-permeating love for Jesus, and it is this I will keep exploring in other posts.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, my love!
    I love you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these helpful thoughts. I'm glad you're blogging!

    I think your profile is witty and Chestertonian.

    ReplyDelete