Monday, December 28, 2009

Uninspired Musings on Mark

In Mark 1:16-20 & 2:14 Jesus calls Simon, Andrew, James, John and Levi (Matthew), and they immediately follow Him. Did you get that? They immediately follow him! Good golly, but that just blows my mind! Did they know He was coming? Had they heard Him preaching previously, gone home, weighed the facts and come to a reasonable conclusion? "Today, when Jesus comes walking by as I'm fishing, I'll be leaving with Him." Did they go home first to make sure the gas was turned off? No, they just followed Him.
I go to church expecting, and even looking forward to, a sermon which convicts, encourages and admonishes me. I read the Bible looking for the Lord to instruct my mind and heart. I live my life seeking to follow Jesus, but I have never followed the way the disciples did. I have never been asked to drop everything and just go. Honestly, at this point I could not. I feel as the man who says "Lord I believe; help thou mine unbelief!" I want to believe and follow without hesitation, yet it is difficult!
I think of these men following in such faith, and I am ashamed. But God is kind, and he pours out his blessings on us. The challenge is to become this kind of man, to have that kind of faith! I do not think God is angry at weak faith, but I do think he has anger towards complacency, towards a uncaring or indifferent faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment